Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Session 7 - Final Online

As Mary said, Matt did a great job presenting his material. I agree that the combination of short presentation followed by discussion was a good mix. In my own presentation, I found that losing sight of the conference room while web-touring or showing slides quite disarming. One minor point I would like to make is that with such a large group it may have been advantageous to engage with half the group for one question and then the other half for the next question. It seemed to take a long time for everyone to respond to each question and the effect of this was to slow down the presentation. That said, interest was maintained throughout the session. I suppose this is one of many examples we have seen throughout the program where we have transfered our usual face to face presentation style into the virtual world only to discover that there are adjustments we need to make, and as Matt pointed out, it relates to lack of feedback.

It was also interesting to note how relaxed everyone is in the room after only six meetings. It demonstrates how quickly and easily people adapt to using the technology.

Google Groups is very quiet this week and I suppose that is to be expected as the program draws towards its conclusion next Wednesday. It has served its purpose as a method of communicating between sessions and as a place to post announcements about upcoming meetings. However, on the whole there has been very little chat. I believe that because we conducted weekly sessions in the virtual conference room there was no necessity for people to chat in between. It's possible that if the meetings had been monthly or even fortnightly there may have been more activity in the forum. Nevertheless, the quality of the posts was high which was great to see.

Looking forward to our final face to face session next week to hear what our participants have to say about their experience in the program from the viewpoint of a small business professional. (Ann)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Anne, Yes I also found it off putting to not have any visual feedback during my presentation when using the "Show my Desktop" feature. As the majority of my presentation was using a powerpoint slide I was not able to see any body language of my audience nor did I have any audio feedback. Still, it was a great exercise to do because I realised that such technology could be immediately utilised in my business, specifically in imparting product knowledge to my customer base.

I also really enjoyed the ecommerce meeting - there is so much potential for all sides of business online - even service based industries! Matt presented a very relevant, informative and interesting evening.